Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The never ending fight...

I promised in one of my other posts that I would talk about fighting. Having two children with disabilities I can choose to do one of two things, I can either sit back and let everyone else make decisions for my children. I can let them decide how much therapy they get, what services are offered (if any), etc.

Or...... I can fight for what my children deserve, I can fight for their rights to live just as full a life as the "typical" child sitting next to them.

Fighting isn't easy, sometimes it seems like you never win, that no matter how hard you push, how many advocates you talk to, how many laws you know, well that you never get anywhere. I remember a saying from my son's NICU days, one baby step forward and three big steps back. That is often the way it goes in the world of special needs. It seems like I get one small tiny victory and then something (or someone) else comes along to say, hey I'm still boss, guess I showed you. What can I do but keep going. I know I am making more enemies than friends, though I don't intend for it to be that way. I can't understand how a parent who fights for her children's rights, who tries to see that they have everything they need to succeed, how is it that this parent is often considered a nuisance, a pain in the neck, often "crazy".

 I have actually seen Special Education Teachers blog about "crazy" parents, not that I'm saying there aren't some crazy ones out there. Just because a parent is fighting for what they believe in, does not make them crazy! I could put up examples of what I have endured so far in trying to get the services my children deserve, but I won't, if I do I am not much better than those teachers who slander parents on the Internet. A parent fighting for their child does not mean they are crazy!  It means they are a warrior! We as parents need to stand together for our children, maybe then we can begin to win a few battles, maybe even a war!   Are you a  warrior for your child???


Two of my boy's! 


1 comment:

Smilen Champ said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and i came across your site. Your son is an amazing, courageous strong and determined fighter. He is a brave warrior, smilen champ, and an inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, developmental delays and suspected austism. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com