I have been told by at least one professional that the only way my child would reach his full potential is to remove him from public school, I have been told by yet another professional that I would do him a great disservice if I pull him from public school. I just know I am tired.....
I'm tired of having to fight every day for the education my child deserves. I'm tired of notes from teachers saying that "he is acting like a regular Kindergarten child" one week, and then a suspension two weeks later. I am tired of people not doing their jobs, not following his IEP, not trying to make the classroom environment conducive for learning.
You can't put all children into a pot and expect them to learn the same way, you can't expect them to be happy, you can't expect them to conform. I have a education degree, I am not the dumb "crazy" mom they suppose me to be....I studied some Psychology as well. I know all about Gardner's Theory of multiple intelligences.... I know that even "typical" children learn differently, it is not a one size fits all model. So what I really have to wonder is...How do ANY of our children ever learn anything?
Yes I guess I am in a bad mood. So I am going to find something to be thankful for. Sometimes it is hard to be thankful, I mean I ask myself on a daily basis, why me, why my children? I know things could be a lot worse though. So here are a few things I am thankful for:
- I am thankful for my children, I am thankful their little quirks and how they make life so interesting, I really can't imagine them not being just who they are.
- I am thankful for the many wonderful people God has put in my life, the people I would have never met had it not been for our situation. People who are a blessing in many ways, some of them don't even know it.
- I am thankful that things aren't worse, I am thankful to be able to hear my children's sweet voices, I am thankful every time one of them climbs on my lap and says "I love you".
- I am thankful to be able to hold them in my arms, I know all to well what empty arms feel like.
- I am thankful to God, though I know at times I feel so alone, God is always there, even in the times that it feels he is so far away, there is always that small whisper.
"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" Hebrews 13:5.
"A" with his friend!