Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Mommy I want to be a Fry Cook........"

The moment she finds out a baby is on the way every mother starts dreaming. The moment I knew I was having a boy I imagined a lot of things. I saw him in Kindergarten, the teachers pet, every one's best friend. I saw him as a football star, the homecoming king.....Of course as all parents know dreams are dreams, and reality is often what we face. But, does that kill our dreams? No, I still dream for my child, I always will.

The other day he came to me and said "mommy, when I grow up can I be a fry cook"? Well, I sat there for a moment and looked at this intelligent, quirky, little child, with his red hair and those rosy red cheeks. I know now he will probably not become a football star, he could, but I have been told that he probably wouldn't be  crazy about competitive sports. Well, I changed the dream a little. If not a football star what is stopping him from being a musician, or he can't he excel in Martial Arts? I know he isn't going to be a social butterfly, he may not even want to go to his prom and that is okay. He loves computers, maybe he'll be writing programs by the time he is a teenager, maybe he'll invent something! 

But....a Fry Cook? Hmmmmmmmmmm.........

So I gave my little man a hug and said, "Well, I'll tell you what. The thing mommy wants for your the most is for you to be happy, so if you grow up and decide that being a fry cook makes you happy, then you go right ahead"! I'll be just as proud of my fry cook as I would have been of my engineer, or my musician! Because I want him to be happy in whatever he decides to do! That is my prayer for him, a long, happy, life!

I hope each of you had a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year! 




No comments: